Re: other services on a firewall

 Firewalls should be designed on top of good application configuration. Whether you
have hand tuned your software or not, there will always be bugs. Without a firewall
in place nothing will protect your system from being exploited. For example, suppose
you have a system without any form of firewall protection, packet filtering included,
this allows anyone to access your server directly.  You said yourself "The program
is only as good as the programmer," if you had important information to protect would
you put it all in the hands of said programmer?

doug