Is my ISP hacked?

Hello again,

I have a linux box with a firewall masquerading for a Windoze net, and last
week I decided to log any attempt to connect me, and...

I suspect my ISP is hacked...

I receive from their secondary DNS three ping (ICMP/8) every about ten minutes,
this makes my ppp does not disconnect by inactivity (idle 1800) if I forgot to
close the link manually (active-filter does not work in my pppd version).

They say it can be a response to an unauthorithed access to their SMTP, it is
 not true, I tried even just to connect without using fetchmail, smail, and
 disabling forwarding, and tcpdump shows the usuall when connecting plus these
 pings.

Once while I was running tcpdump I saw a trial to use me to forward a pop3
 connection to another IP (not me or my ISP).

Another day I have logged three consecutive telnet trials to me!!!

- Is my ISP hacked?
- Am I paranoid?

Best regards,
--