Re: IP masq (ipchains): masq whole LAN *except* some hosts?

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 02:30:35AM +0100, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 10:37:31 +1100, Angus Lees wrote:
> >ARP uses ARP, not ICMP  (assuming ipv4..)
> >it happens at an ethernet broadcast level - any IP firewalling stuff
> >never gets to see it
>
> I see. Let me try to clarify this to see whether I've understood it: arp
> happens on a level *below* IP. Therefore arp PASSES my firewall, right?

arp happens at the level below IP, therefore arp is _never_ forwarded
by your firewall

arp packets (and their replies) stay on the ethernet broadcast network
they were sent to. (which is a recursive definition, since this is
also how the "ethernet broadcast network" is defined - but i think you
understand what i mean)

do a "tcpdump arp" and "/usr/sbin/arp -a" and see what your networks
look like from an ethernet hardware level

--
 - Gus