Re: Transparency in the firewall

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999, Jason D. Michaelson wrote:
> Has this sort of thing been done, and how did you do it?

I think we have done something like that... but... Hem, let me tell
you. We wanted to insert transparently a firewall between two
routers (there was nothing but an ethernet link between these two
routers), but without changing the routers' configuration (i.e without
saying to one router that he should give his packets to the firewall
instead of giving them to the other router).

Unfortunately, we didn't manage to have this work done by a dual homed
linux box, although we tried almost everything, because we needed
bridging (the default firewalling policy was an accept policy), but
bridging+firewalling+transparency doesn't work with the linux kernel for
the moment. That's why we decided to use a freebsd box, and everything
worked fine.

--
MaXX