Re: Port forwarding - problem resolved

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Marcin Owsiany wrote:

> But, for some weird reasons too complicated to explain them here i wanted to
> see box2's web server by port http://box1:8888/ also from box1 as well as
> from box2. (i know i could connect directly to http://box2:80/ in such case,
> but i needed a unique address)
> And this did not work! (even though i praised Lord :)

I know you said you had resolved your issues, but this last
parenthetic statement caught my attention (just before I deleted the
email).  You said you needed a unique address.  Are you serving
virtual web sites?  Are you using Apache?  If this is the case, and
you need a unique IP address to access the desired web site, you can
assign an IP alias to the interface card.  Just compile your kernel
with IP Aliasing support and then use the ifconfig command to assign a
new aliased IP to the interface...

    ifconfig eth0 XXX.XXX.XXX.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
    ifconfig eth0:0 XXX.XXX.XXX.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
    ifconfig eth0:1 ...(etc)...

Then, in your DNS entries, make sure you've referenced the new IP
address with the web site.  With Apache, you can actually specify
which port the web site listens too.  Check out your web server's
documentation for the possibilities.

But, this seems to gone a little off topic for the list.  Back to your
regularily scheduled program.

^chewie

http://nerp.net/~chewie  <<--- Check it out!  I'm selling my truck!