Re: Port forwarding - Aaarghh!!

Hi

-----Original Message-----
From: ^chewie <chewie@nerp.net>
To: Marcin Owsiany <porridge@lo4.ids.bielsko.pl>
Cc: debian-firewall@lists.debian.org <debian-firewall@lists.debian.org>;
recipient list not shown: ; <recipient list not shown: ;>
Date: 30 June 1999 10:45
Subject: Re: Port forwarding - Aaarghh!!

>On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Marcin Owsiany wrote:

[snip]
>It looks like what you're trying to do is redirect outgoing web
>traffic to a web proxy server.  What you may need to do is an ipchains
>rule that redirects outgoing traffice destined to port 80 of the
>external network to a local port.  Then, try to use the program called
>"transproxy" to forward traffic from that local port to the proxy
>server. I haven't implemented it's use here yet, but I'm going

This is what we do, except we're still using a 2.0.x kernel with ipfwadm.
It works quite well.  Basically you do this:

    on firewall:
        1)  Set up ipfwadm/ipchains rule to allow connections from proxy to
0/0 port 80
        2)  Set up ipfwadm/ipchains rule to redirect any other connections
to 0/0 80 to local port 8080 (just pick an unused port.)
        3)  Install "transproxy" (I think I found a link to it on
http://squid.nlanr.net/) and set it up to connect to proxy on the
appropriate port.

    on proxy:
        Set up as normal.