Re: Problem to get ipautofw working !!!

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Martin Held wrote:

> You have to use ipchains with a 2.2.x kernel.  ipautofw doesn't
> work under 2.2 kernels.
>
> I think what you want is something along the lines of
>
> ipchains -A input -j REDIRECT -p <protocol> -s 0/0 and so on.
>
> I would read the ipchains howto.  There's lots of stuff you can do
> with it... it replaces ipautofw, portfw, etc.

Franz, I'm not sure how exactly you'd use vanilla ipchains to do the
same functionality as ipautofw.  I've read the FAQs and haven't found
any answer other than having to download the ipmasqadm tools from
http://juanjox.kernelnotes.org.  The ipmasqadm tool works with
ipchains and the new firewall code and replaces ipportfw and ipautofw
with "ipmasqadm portfw ..." and "ipmasqadm autofw..."

I believe that Martin is simply suggesting that you force the desired
range of udp port connetions through a single port through
redirection.  This may not be what you would like to do.  Ipmasqadm
uses the same syntax as ipautofw, so if you're used to using that, go
for ipmasqadm.

^chewie

http://nerp.net/~chewie  <<--- Check it out!  I'm selling my truck!