Re: IP fw-in deny (?)

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Paul Tod Rieger wrote:

> OK, so just because I see eth0 and 192.168.4.1 (eth1) in the message
> doesn't mean the problem is on the firewall: it's likely coming from
> another device on the eth1 LAN.

eth0 is your internal lan, right?  Or is eth1 connected to your lan?

> I figure it's the $5 combo card on the w98 box, so I've reconfigured it
> to use 10Base2 media instead of auto-sensing, the default.  (Donald
> Becker had mentioned on the vortex mailing list that auto-sensing
> 10Base2 is not reliable, so some drivers spew out garbage in an effort
> to detect it.  Maybe that's what I'm seeing....)

What's happening is a box, apparently on the eth0 network, is broadcasting
DHCP packets.  If it's your LAN, then a box on your network doesn't have
IP configured and is looking for an address.  If that interface is
connected to your cable modem, then you have a neighbor broadcasting DHCP
looking for an address.

In either case, it's not "garbage".  It's just normal operation for PC's
looking for addresses.  (Specifically, win95/98/nt machines)  Just make
sure your PC's all have IP addresses or have IP disabled.  There's not
much you can do about your neighbor except ignore him/her.  :)

John
jbkramer@mad.scientist.com