Re: need help with configuring ethernet cards

Michael Nielson wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions?  Anyone have experience with using
> DE-220PCT NIC cards?  Or maybe since I'm new to Debian I'm just missing
> something obvious when it comes to configuring new drivers on the
> system.

I set up a ne2k-pci compatible as eth0.  The install program took care
of the details.  I just selected the 8390 and ne2k-pci drivers, and
entered the IP info.  (The PCI card requires the 8390 driver; don't know
about the ISA.  Also, check the chip numbers to double-check
compatibility.)

My /etc/init.d/network has:

ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR_0} netmask ${NETMASK_0} broadcast ${BROADCAST_0}
route add -net ${NETWORK_0}
route add default gw ${GATEWAY_0} metric 1

with the variables set to the IP info.

But I can't get eth1 working.  I've tried:

ifconfig eth1 ${IPADDR_1} netmask ${NETMASK_1} broadcast ${BROADCAST_1}
route add -net ${NETWORK_1}

but I typically get:

ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
ping: wrote jetdirect 64 chars, ret=-1

when I try to ping other machines on the LAN.

It's a 3Com 3c900-combo, which I can get to work when I only set up my
10Base2 LAN, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware or driver problem.

Maybe it's an "ordering" problem: do I have to set up eth1 before I
specify the gateway (with the "route add default gw ${GATEWAY_0} metric
1")?

Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for any help!

Tod