[ff] The Freefire Bulletin #3 (1998-09-06)

  The Freefire Bulletin #3 (1998-09-06) Monthly Newsletter

The Freefire Project tries to help Developers in building Firewall and
IT-Security Solutions based on Free Tools. You can find additional
information about the Project at the Homepage

     <URL:http://www.inka.de/sites/lina/freefire-l/index.en.html>

0  Executive Info (Ec)
---------------------
1 Ethereal (Ec)
  A free GTK and libpcap based Network Scanner

2 No Article about Saint (Ec)
  The Free Satan is aged, but a successor is not free anymore

3 g2s (Ec)
  A network superserver with additional features

4 smtpd/smtpfwdd (Ec)
  E-Mail store and forward proxy (for firewalls)

5 SINUS Firewall Mailing List (HH)
  Firewall based on statefull screening

1  Ethereal
------------
It is a GTK and libpcap based tool to capture (to disk) and analyze (view in
a GUI) network traffic. This neat program from Gerald Combs compiles very
cleanly on my Debian 2.0 GNU/Linux System. Even the alpha version of this
tool looks very promising. I suggest everybody to check this tool out if
they want to have a free solution for network analyzing.

<URL:http://ethereal.zing.org/>

2  No Article about Saint
-------------------------
I wanted to write an article about the network security scanner SAINT. It is
an updated SATAN (Dan Farmer and Wietse Venema). But after I had discovered
that SAINT is placed under a more restricted (not open source, restricted
use) copyright I decided not to support that tool by giving it an article in
the bulletin. Rumours are that Dan and Wietse are trying to work on an
updated version of SATAN.

<URL:http://www.things.org/satan/>

3  g2s
------
The g2s superserver is a replacement for (x)inetd. It has some additional
features like acces control, some build-in proxy functions (for redirecting
and filtering connections), chroot, RBL Spam Control and resource limits.
The author is Frank Denis.

<URL:ftp://ftp.rtc-one.net/j/g2s/>

4  smtpd/smtpfwdd
-----------------
Obtuse Systems Corporation is shipping their firewall toolkit with a free
store and forward proxy for mail. Those daemons are used to receive mail,
check them for malicious data and hand them to a local mail system to pass
them along. Compared to the solution in the Firewall Toolkit of TIS, those
programs are realy free. The smtpd v2 features a nice adress checking rule
file. Note that most exisiting SMTP Application Proxies do NOT help against
the Mime-Buffer-Overflow-Problem, since they are not Mime-Aware.

<URL:http://www.obtuse.com/juniper-docs/man/smtpd.html>

5  New SINUS Firewall Mailinglist (HW)

<URL:http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/ikm/SINUS/firewall.html>

Authors of the current issue
  Ec  - Bernd 'eckes' Eckenfels    <ecki@lina.inka.de>
  HW  - Harald Weidner             <weidner@ifi.unizh.ch>

(c) Copyright 1998 Bernd Eckenfels and others
Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@lina.inka.de>, GERMANY

--
Bernd Eckenfels, ecki@lina.inka.de, The Freefire Project
http://www.inka.de/sites/lina/freefire-l/