Re: Unattended package install.

	Henry Hollenberg     speed@barney.iamerica.net

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Philip Hands wrote:

> > I tried it and it seemed to die in the middle of the generation of
> > it's script.  It might have something to do with my script hanging at
> > the end though.
>
> Just run the interactive bits through the expect script.  i.e.:
>
>   /usr/doc/expect5.24/examples/autoexpect -f inewsinn.exp  \
>       dpkg -i `find . -name "inewsinn_*.deb"`
>
> and fill in the blanks.  Once done, have a look at the new script.  Each
> prompt should have been turned into an ``expect'' statement, but there will be
> a lot of stuff you don't need, and you need to make the script capable of
> surviving variable prompts.

That's nice....gives me a vantage point to beging studying expect from.  I
feel a book purchase coming on!

I think hubert is working on a way to record variables in a file and
then call them up into these routines, so that a general firewall
layout can be discussed/described, then a few variables set, then let the
install rip unattended from there.  If you've been there before the
variable-file could have an "automatic" setting that tells the install
script not to bother asking any questions.....just start right away on the
unattended install.

I guess most of the packages are non-interactive so they could be
installed with regular shell scripts and expect scripts only called in
when needed.

I don't think installing expect and tcl is that big of deal...we can just
purge them when we're thru.

later

hgh