Re: Okay, but why "Debian" and not "Nifty" or something?

J-Mag wrote:

> Okay, I see from the FAQ what Debian *is* but I'm wondering where the name
> came from.  Why "Debian"?  Is it named after someone named "Deb"?  Is it
> from the Greek word for "give" (like "debit")?  Is it an acronym?
>
> I can't believe I'm the first person to ask this.

You're not. According to the FAQ, the name comes from "Deb" and "Ian". They came
up with this, so they get to name it...

--
Rich Puhek
Senior, Electrical and Computer Engineering

"...Any kind of engineering feat should be screened from the eyes of the
engineer's parents. That way you could concentrate on your work and didn't have
to be answering a lot of dumb questions all the time."
   -- Patrick McManus
   "The Skunk Ladder" from The Grasshopper Trap