DebConf10 pre-proposal: New York City

Hi,

At DebConf8 there will be a discussion on Tuesday night about the
location for DebConf10. There haven't been any bids discussed so far, so
I think it might be a good opportunity for the US to take its turn, even
despite the immigration hassles, and specifically to propose DebConf10
in New York City. There are a lot of other upsides to
counterbalance the immigration problems, such as:

  - relatively cheap and direct airfare from most of the world

  - not too long travel time (as compared to e.g. South America) for the
    countries where most Debian developers live

  - a large number of universities and other places which we could
    approach as potential venues

  - great public transit and ease of getting around the city and to/from
    airports

  - lots of local places to travel for daytrips or restaurant meals

  - ability to accomodate a wide variety of dietary restrictions

  - ability to accomodate people with physical handicaps/disabilities

  - everyone speaks English, so no language barrier for a 3rd year in a
    row

  - a currency that has weakened a lot recently, so Europeans will find
    it relatively cheap

  - a large number of Debian users unable to travel internationally
    (e.g. due to job or financial constraints) who could contribute and
    learn a lot by attending DebConf

So, in order for this to be feasible, I would need your help (yes that
means you!) as part of localteam. This is especially true for people who
live in NYC itself, as I do, but also people from elsewhere in the US
and especially the rest of the US Northeast will be very useful too.

Please speak up if you would be willing to help put in the significant
amount of time it would take to organize DebConf10 in the US. I'll need
to hear from some of you by Tuesday if I am to go ahead with the
proposal. Also let me know if you have ideas of how to find affordable
venues. Universities are good based on the experiences of several past
DebConfs, but there are lots of hostels and nonprofits and other
possibilities too.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org