Re: Debian-Day at LinuxTag

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Alexander Schmehl wrote:

Speaker:	Andreas Tille
Topic:		Custom Debian Distributions
Comment:	Andreas fears, it might become boring, since he covered
		that topic a couple of times already.  So, if someone
		comes up with a new idea for a talk, we could drop this
		one in favour of the new one (Andreas, I hope I
		summarized this correctly?)
In principle this is a correct summary.  I will definitely not hold the same
talk as I did before.  My question is in which direction I should draw the
focus:

  1) Detailed description of existing CDDs.
     (Summarizing talk)
  2) Experiences in working as a leader of a CDD (building a community, relations
     to upstream authors and users, problems)
     (More social talk)
  3) Preview on future techniques which will be used in CDDs (new ways for
     meta package creation, web-tools, debtags, etc.)
     (Technical talk)
  4) A talk I was holding in my institute for an absulutely Free Software newbee
     audience called "Knowledge, power and free beer" which draws a large
     circle around Free Software, software patents, WikiPedia, what are
     Linux Distributions and ends up explaining a CDD in a very simple graphical
     way.  The intention of this talk for the Debian Day audience would be
     to enable Debian experts to educate complete newbees about Debian.  (The
     colleagues I was asking after the talk were happy with it and one of them
     even installed Debian afterwards. ;-))
     I was asked by other DDs to publish this talk in English so this would
     be a good chance for a translation / further enhancement.
     (Educational talk)

It would be helpful if some people would express their main interest to enable
me to prepare an interesting talk.

That makes a total of nine talks.  So we can easily fill a Debian-Day
from 9:00 to 18:00 with hourly talks and no lunch break (That would be
the same as last year).
Last year was fine.

Dear speakers, please send me an abstract of your talks soon, if
... as soon as I've got enough comments on this mail

possible include some URLs about material to read further.
In any case:

       http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/

Well, since this worked that well, let's try to get a step further:  How
about some kind of conference preceedings?
Good idea.

Should we try collect papers /
slides / whatever for the talks before LinuxTag,
Might be good.  I do it anyway (see above URL).

and have some printouts ready?
Experience showed that most people in the room had their laptops with WLAN
connection.  So why having a handout if they can read online?  IMHO a waste
of resources.

I don't think it would be a problem to print some of them at my
university (as long as you don't write entire books ;)
So even if the resources are sheap - we can save them anyway. (IMHO)

Or do you think, that it is sufficient, to have some of the speakers
upload their talks and just set links?  IIRC that didn't worked very
well in the last years.
This SHOULD work.  IMHO a talk is incomplete if it is not available online.

So yes, I hearby request the speakers to get their slides / papers /
whatever ready soon enough for us to print them, and to license their
talk under a license, which would allow us to distribute them (Note:  It
is a request, not a demand).
Uhmmm, what License would you propose.  I'm aware that I'm missing a license
statement for my talks.  The reason is that I'm unsure about the right
documentation license ...

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--