Re: Comments on CD images v4 (was Re: new CD images (II))

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 10:58:01AM +0200, Stefan Gybas wrote:
> Michael Bramer wrote:
>
> > there is zip-ssl on the cd
>
> You mean zip-crypt? I did not find it on the CD either.

oh, yes. Thanks for the report.

I include zip-ssl and there is no such package...

Now I include zip-crypt..

> Could you also consider including ISDN packages on the CD and updating
> packages with recent security advisories (exim, man-db)? And maybe
> update Samba to 2.2.0 (all RC-bugs don't affect us AFAICS).

ok, I make this and check samba 2.2.0

> > NO. _I_ put no non-free on the CD.
>
> This is really bad. To me it looks like this CD is for end users and
> not professional admins (that's why we have KDE and Gnome, right?) and
> they will really miss Netscape - hust talk to them and ask which browser
> they are using. There is no working alternative browser yet, not even
> Opera. The second point is a missing JDK - and I'm not talking about
> kaffe here. :-((

what is the opinion from ohers?!

> > [locale.gen]
> > I know this. But this is Debian, this is woody and I don't like to
> > make a 'undebian' CD. If you Update a potato or if you install a woody
> > (with no changes in this area) at release time, you have to change
> > this file. If you don't like it, write bug reports or better make a
> > script in /usr/lib/base-config/ and send this to the libc6 maintainer.
>
> I'm sure that this will be done before woody gets released but this does
> not help us now. base2_3.tgz will contain the new locales version so the
> config file must be there with default settings from the installer.
> The CTRL-Z-and-edit-hack will only be used for upgrades.

(BTW: There will no base2_3.tgz)

And IMHO is the package locales not in base or in the debootstrap
woody-list. It will install a 'empty' /etc/locales-gen without
questions...

> > But if you change base2_2.tgz with this, you must build all bin's etc.
> > new and use the new lib. This is very critical. Should we use the
> > 'testet' BF's on our CD or if we want it critical: should we use
> > woody-BF's?
>
> IMHO there were too many untested changes to base-config and dbootstrap.
> I think we should just upgrade some packages in base.tgz with the versions
> >from testing (which are already on the CD as .deb). This does not require
> any recompilation at all - just unpack base.tgz and "dpkg -i" in a
> chroot there.

Oh, I understand.

Yes, we can make this.

> I'm away until Sunday. If you want me to build the new base.tgz, I can do
> it on Monday. Happy weekend! :)

ok, build it.

Gruss
Grisu