Re: adding locale for esperanto (eo_XX)

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 18:00, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> There's no need to go there. Debian already has an Esperanto locale in
> the package locales: /usr/share/i18n/locales/eo_EO
>
> It would be better to rename it to eo_XX or have both as synonyms.

I am no expert.  I am also not very good with esperanto, but am trying
to slowly learn it. But I will but in none-the-less.

I think the names eo_XX and eo_EO are terrible.  there is supposed to be
a standard in place of language_COUNTRY if I am correct.  eo_EO assumes
there will never be a country code of EO, and eo_XX is just an ugly
hack.

I think you should choose a country for the locale that fits the locales
settings (personally I wrote and installed an eo_US with all USA
settings and esperanto langauge stuff) because the date formats and
money and whatnot in eo_XX is not localised for me so things were wrong
if i went all eo_XX (and of course I wanted to learn how the locale
system worked above all).

so I think debian should switch eo_XX to eo_DK, the same way there is a
en_DK that has ISO date formats for english and whatnot. that way you
are consistant with current practice, and you can have the ISO formats
and euro symbol in and it fits the country code as well.
--
Charles Voelger <cvoelger@dweasel.com>