Re: Debian-LAN: installing a complete network environment

Hi Jesús,

On Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 11:33:06AM +0200, Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
> En fecha Viernes, 4 de octubre de 2013, Andreas B. Mundt escribió:
> >
> > Debian-LAN is an approach to simplify installing a complete kerberized
> > network environment made of Debian machines.  It might be used for
> > schools, small enterprises, associations, (university) work groups or
> > to install complex test environments.
>
> Quite interesting.  How does it compare to debian-edu?  It seems these both
> projects overlap.

That's right, Debian-LAN has its roots in Debian-EDU.  During my work
on Debian-EDU, I started to think about a more modularized, flexible
setup and to split the networking part, which is in no way special to
the -EDU, off from the educational package selection.  This
modularization would allow to use synergies within a broader user- and
developer-base.

I presented some of the ideas at DebConf11 [1].  Debian-LAN is the
result of this modularization, which I started to work on right after
the talk.  It turned out to work even better than expected.

Some developers from Debian-EDU have expressed their interest in using
Debian-LAN as basis for Debian-EDU.  I would of course appreciate
that, as it was the original idea of Debian-LAN to provide that part:
Good for Debian-LAN and in my opinion also good for Debian-EDU.
However, they have to decide if they prefer to fight with the
debian-edu-config package again for jessie.

Best regards,

     Andi

[1] <URL:http://penta.debconf.org/dc11_schedule/events/779.en.html>