Re: Debian private repositories

Marc Haber <mh+debian-enterprise@zugschlus.de> writes:

> I would like to know if and how you handle wishes of departments to keep
> older versions of software around and aptable. Afaik, reprepro cannot
> handle archives that have multiple versions of a program in the same
> distribution/suite and cannot be easily adapted to handle this.

> It is, however, frequently demanded in enterprise that one needs to be
> able to newly deploy a machine using old software to care for
> reproducibility.

We have, so far, just refused to do this and managed to make that stick,
but my group is also about central infrastructure and core services.  We
don't run, say, HPC clusters, where this demand is more acute since it
relates to ongoing research work.

I believe our HPC group is not using Debian packaging to maintain the
software for research purposes, and instead is using Rocks and its Roll
concept (and is also largely running on Red Hat right now).

The main user-visible software issues we run into are the much more
limited situation for user CGI scripts, and there we just go with whatever
is in Debian stable and people have to adjust their work accordingly.