Re: stable Debian+php4

David Oros <david.oros@platon.org> writes:

> I would like to ask, how to deal with this problem: I cannot stop using
> php4 because of some apps, so I need stable Debian with php4 in it. My
> idea is to install stable lenny debian and compile php4 from source, but
> I do not want to use it - only as a last chance.

> Question is: how to have stable upgradeable debian with php4?

There was a long discussion about this on the backports list a while back,
the summary of which I think is that neither PHP upstream nor any of the
Debian packagers want to have anything to do with PHP 4.x and consider it
a security hole, so there was no enthusiasm for doing anything with it for
lenny.  I don't know if there's a third-party package somewhere, but it
sounded very unlikely there would be one in any official Debian
repository.