How to force a desktop configuration.

I have a problem I'm hoping you all can help me solve. I need to lock
down my users' desktop configurations, background, window theme, default
icons, panel locations, Thunderbird configurations, etc. When it comes
right down to it, the users should not be able to make any configuration
changes; however, they should still be able to use the applications made
available to them.

I have thought about just moving the ~/.config, ~/.mozilla, etc
directories to some place outside their home directories then symlinking
them back in. But this seems "hackish" to me.

Is there a better solution?

Thanks,

Jeremy