Re: Debian based Filesystems with ELBE

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 11:10:05 +0100
Manuel Traut <manut@mecka.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we wrote some software to generate customized Debian rootfilesystem
> images. The project is called ELBE and is available as open-source
> (GPLv3) [1].

*Another debootstrap wrapper* ?? Please no.

> ELBE uses debootstrap, python-apt, qemu-user-static & chroot,
> mtd-utils and python-parted to generate target images. Currently
> amd64, armel, armhf and i386 are tested successfully.

There was a session at DebConf15 which identified about 15 existing
wrappers that do much the same thing already.

> I'm quite sure, a lot of people wrote scripts for doing this.

... and packages already in Debian.

> To ensure that the same target image can be generated again, the
> target image generation is done in a defined Debian installation,
> typically running in KVM. We call this machine 'initvm'. The
> installation of the initvm is automated by a generated preseeding for
> the debian-installer. Multiple target images can be generated on the
> same initvm.
>
> To generate the target image, that is described by [2] just type:
>
> $ elbe initvm create x86_64-pc-hdimg-minimal-grub-jessie.xml

... or create config for one of the existing packages - my own
recommendation would be vmdebootstrap - it has QEMU/multiple arch
support.