Re: Cross-building Debian `linux` package (Was: Re: Unmet dependencies problem in CrossToolchains)

On 04/06/2015 05:22 PM, Shawn Landden wrote:
On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 3:15 PM, John Morris <john@zultron.com> wrote:

On 03/30/2015 10:45 PM, Wookey wrote:

+++ John Morris [2015-03-30 22:16 -0500]:

I'm going to try setting up Wookey's cross-build daemon

(careful - it really could do with some more work to be moderately
general!)

or use sbuild directly, so never mind.

Thanks for the tips, Wookey.  I ended up adding `sbuild` functionality to
some scripts I had laying about, and it looks like all the Machinekit
dependencies can be compiled.

However, there are a few packages that can't be *cross*-compiled, the most
irritating of which is the Debian `linux` package.  (I've modified the
packaging to build Xenomai and RTAI 'featuresets'.)

The problem is the explicit `Build-Depends: gcc-4.9`, which can't be met by
the `crossbuild-essential-armhf` or its dependencies.  For now qemu will get
the job done, but of course take ages to do it.

What are you building linux for? If it is just the linux-libc-dev
package then there might be a reduced build that only builds that.

Xenomai [1] and RTAI [2] are two real-time frameworks. They're both based on the ipipe patch, which is a heavy modification to the Linux kernel. Looks like I may have to start building the RT_PREEMPT kernel too, since that's been dropped from Jessie. Machinekit [3] features a RT threads layer that we've ported to several threads systems.

The Beaglebone kernel took over 2 hours to compile with -j8 under qemu. Ouch.

[1]: http://xenomai.org
[2]: https://www.rtai.org
[3]: http://machinekit.io

	John