Re: armhf and year 2038 limitation

On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 11:24:46 AM EET, Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:
HI, I try to build a jessie based armhf embedded system that will pass the year 2038 limitation.

So far, I have learn that I have to use btrfs instead of ext4, and that the struct timespec.tv_sec must be 64-bit instead of 32-bit. It look like the Linux kernel already handle the time on 64-bit variable internally even on armhf, but that the libc and all applications that use it must be recompiled. Maybe I have miss some others points and maybe there is already a plan to handle the problem, for example in the next release, but I was unable to find good informations on this.

As we are still more than 20 years before the limit, the issue could sound only theoretical but it's actually more a confidence and marketing problem trying to push a system that is well known to hang in about two decades.

Any informations on the subject are welcome,

You might want to check the slides and video recoding of this topic from the recent linaro connect:

http://www.slideshare.net/linaroorg/hkg15206-solving-the-year-2038-problem-in-linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILiMzjN71zM

So people are working, but there is still plenty of work to do. Riku