Re: systemd requiring Linux >= 3.7

Le 24. 10. 14 07:49, csirac2@yahoo.com.au a écrit :
With our dear universal operating system set to switch over to systemd, I am just wondering if anybody has communicated that this breaks many ARM platforms with "typical" vendors who only care to ship a kernel they once hacked at product launch, and/or the one provided by CPU vendor who barely does much more than fork and abandon stuff on linaro <http://linaro.org>. <http://linaro.org>org <http://linaro.org>.

Okay, Linaro isn't that bad, the expensive ARM chips are better supported than that and the sky isn't really falling. I actually really do like systemd features (though I think complaints about its monolithic approach are valid) and I currently maintain a systemd build of my work for a candidate ARM target which mostly works well.

Except that critical out-of-tree kernel modules written for 3.0 need to be ported to a newer kernel, and undergo expensive re-validation.

Eg. Congatec still actively maintains its fork of Freescale's fork of Linaro kernel 3.0.15 <tel:3015>: https <https://git.congatec.com/yocto/meta-fsl-arm-extra>:// <https://git.congatec.com/yocto/meta-fsl-arm-extra>git.congatec.com <https://git.congatec.com/yocto/meta-fsl-arm-extra>/ <https://git.congatec.com/yocto/meta-fsl-arm-extra>yocto <https://git.congatec.com/yocto/meta-fsl-arm-extra>/ <https://git.congatec.com/yocto/meta-fsl-arm-extra>meta- <https://git.congatec.com/yocto/meta-fsl-arm-extra>fsl-arm-extra <https://git.congatec.com/yocto/meta-fsl-arm-extra>

Count how many of gumstix' offerings officially run Linux kernels >= 3.7 (hint: zero) http://www.gumstix.org/access-source-code.html

These vendor's products easily run Debian today but won't boot a Jessie image with systemd.

Not because the CPUs are unable but just the sheer fork-happy, hack&slash insanity of software practice in the embedded space. Has this been communicated to the vote participants?

Or am I completely off-base here? Most of my career has been x86-only until recently.

Hi Paul,

I few days ago I completely switched a SAMA5D35 ARM Cortex-A5 custom board from EmDebian Whezzy Grip with system V inito a pure Debian Jessie with systemd. I simply configured the apt sources files and do a normal dist-upgrade (aside as having to force the version of a few packages to completely avoid gripped version). The process was so smooth that all the realtime processing applications running on that board didn't even notice the unusual activities (well until the postgresql database restarted with both 9.1 and 9.4 revisions running alongside). At the reboot, systemd was in charge of the base of the system and everything was good. Even the old custom /etc/init.d/* custom scripts specific on that board was executed the right way. It was a complete success, and I enjoy the systemd-analyze command.

Debian Jessy with systemd is just already incredibly perfect. I predict that Jessis will be one of the most successful Debian release to date and will play a major role in the embedded market. For the first time ever, the armhf port is so complete that you can do on armhf everything you can do on a amd64 port. I used to work on custom build, on scratchbox build, on buildroot build, on openembedded build, but now I do everything natively on armhf directly on the target board and really enjoy doing so. Really, Debian Jessie is a major wonderful advance, try it.

Best Regards,
Jean-Christian