Re: cross compile mips on x86_64: pcre?

On Friday 5. September 2014 23.33.34 Paul Boddie wrote:

> I'm guessing that the wrong objcopy is invoked here, but I have no idea how
> this would be fixed. Earlier in the build output the following occurs:
>
> dh_strip -plibgcc-4.8-dev
> strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file `debian/libgcc-4.8-
> dev/usr/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-gnu/4.8/libgcc.a(_m16subsf3.o)'

So, this seems to be a problem with dh_strip. Looking at the dh_strip code
indicates that a function called cross_command is provided in the following
file:

/usr/share/perl5/Debian/Debhelper/Dh_Lib.pm

This appears to compare DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE and DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE, and only if
they are different does it generate a command prefixed with the latter. So, to
coerce it to use the appropriate objcopy command on foreign libraries, the
following appears to be necessary (for my system):

DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE=i586-linux-gnu \
DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE=mipsel-linux-gnu \
dh_strip ...

The most pertinent reference to this that I could find was the following
comment on a bug in Launchpad:

https://code.launchpad.net/~hrw/ubuntu/precise/gcc-4.6/cross-
fixes/+merge/82269/comments/177796

Since dh_strip seems to be used a lot in the debian/rules.d files for the gcc
packages, I do wonder what the fix for this is meant to be.

Paul

P.S. All of this still being in the context of the following:

https://wiki.debian.org/MultiarchCrossToolchainBuild#Local_building_of_multiarch_cross-
toolchains