Re: vim-runtime gripped about 75 larger than debian stock version

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:41:53 +0100
Marko von Oppen <marko@von-oppen.com> wrote:

> so far I understand the following output of 'apt-get show
> vim-runtime', the gripped version is about 7.6 MB in size while the
> original version is only sized 4.6 MB.

The download size does not matter. The Installed-Size is a better indicator.

> Normally I would install the
> gripped version to get a smaller package. What is my oversight?

A change in the compression method which affects only the download size.

The package is full of data, only 20 files can be removed from the
package without affecting functionality.

Compare with vim-common: 176kb download in Debian, 16kb in Grip.
Installed size for vim-common: 308kb, 56kb in Grip.

When vim-runtime is unpacked, the packages take up:

$ du -s 1/
29268	1/
$ du -s em1/
29104	em1/

That cannot be reduced further in Grip as that would compromise functionality.

> I'd like to upgrade from vim-tiny to vim+vim-runtime but that is not
> possible on my boxes having 128 MB flash memory if the package is
> that large.

That is why vim-tiny exists. Reduced functionality to achieve the extra reduction in size.

Grip doesn't change functionality and the extra functionality in vim
takes up a lot of space compared to vim-tiny.