Re: Embedded with systemd

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> wrote:
Hi,

On 17.11.2014 11:14, Jeremiah Foster wrote:

>     This is a very onerous requirement in the embedded world. There are many
>     embedded platforms sold today that only have 2.6.X BSPs.

> But I highly doubt those devices have modern userlands.

Debian jessie with sysvinit boots and works just fine, and swapping out
the BSP userland with a Debian root file system from debootstrap is
usually simple and sufficient, while forward-porting the kernel drivers
is a lot harder.

Well, by a "little work", this is the kind of thing that I meant. Obviously you'll need something other than systemd since that needs later kernels for cgroups.

> I find it unlikely that you'd be able to run Jessie on your desktop and
> Jessie on your device, at least, not without a little bit of work.

We've been doing that for wheezy, so if it no longer works I'd count
that as a regression.

Well, it won't work with systemd and that is partly what the OP was pointing to.

I don't really understand the OP's situation. If you're working for a company that has an ancient kernel, can't you persuade them of the benefits of modern kernels? If you're not working for the device maker, why not choose one of the newer embedded platforms many of which run new kernels and Debian out-of-the-box.

Cheers,

Jeremiah