[01/05] Embedded with systemd: systemd and SIL

By choosing packages carefully, it is possible to use linux in
applications that need to meet SIL1 or SIL2 criteria [1]. I personally
don't have any applications that need to meet SIL2, but it is possible
to meet SIL1 by taking a normal installation and removing a bunch of
stuff (initramfs, udev and inetd amongst others) until the system is
deterministic enough (see the methodology in [2]). /sbin/init functions
OK with a few static devices in/dev

Given the tight udev/systemd marriage and the undeterministic nature of
socket activation, I suspect that systemd will never be suitable for
SIL applications.

Are there any other debian embedded developers that need to meet SIL
criteria? How are you planning to manage the fact that there are very
few non-systemd distros left, or do we have to resign ourselves to a
life of OpenEmbedded and buildroot?

[1] http://www.reliableembeddedsystems.com/pdfs/2010_03_04_rt_linux.pdf
[2] http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr011.pdf