Re: debootstrap and cdebootstrap vs systemd

On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 08:30:32PM +1100, csirac2@yahoo.com.au wrote:
> "Don't accept old kernels" is almost equivalent to telling many
> unrelated businesses in a particular ecosystem to burn their
> investments and start again from scratch, just because the SoC and/or
> board vendors have a broken business model. And that's hard to explain
> to business people and even hardware engineers that a
> chip/board/subsystem is "unsupported" even though supply guarantees
> stretch out to the year 2020 and beyond.

If you choose an old Soc vendor kernel, you effectively choose to use old
userland from the same era. Better do your business plan based on it:

 "we won't upgrade userspace except for backported critical fixes and
 features we REALLY need"

And it probably not that bad deal anyways. Instead wondering how to
adapt your existing working code to new userland (say initscripts to
systemd), your engineers can spend time working on something that
actually matters to your customers.

Riku