Re: End of updates for Emdebian Grip

Hello,

The cross building toolchain and the root filesystem generation are the most critical parts for me.

For many embedded systems, developers use machines with a different architecture than for the target, typically build=amd64 and target=armhf. An up-to-date easy to install cross-toolchain is a minimum, but a cross-build system is far better. It allow to directly produce Debian packages that can be added to the list of packages to be installed by the root filesystem generator. In a ideal world, the kernel, bootloader, device tree, and system configuration would be nice to be also packages passed to the root filesystem generator, so it will yield a fully ready to use image, without additional manual settings.

Achieving those goals are not easy, I am not naive. But this match somewhat the goals that projects like openemedded, yocto, and buildroot, to name a few of them, provides to there users. But none of them are build on the ground of a high quality and widely tester distribution like Debian. In addition there all basically require to recompile everything instead of using already available packages, wasting a lot of time. What I want is a process where I can develop and test a Debian packaged applications on a standard PC and then just add it to the cross-build system to get it integrated cleanly into the target filesystem. Linaro is actually the most close project I know that match what I want, but is heavy rely on Ubuntu specifics dependencies.

Best Regards,
Jean-Christian