Re: Installing a cross-toolchain to build ARM binaries

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 06:28:43PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 18:52:41 +0100
> Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> wrote:
> > I tried it as well, but for mipsel.  I found that:
> > - Most packages refuse to be installed by xapt, because they are
> >   multi-arch.  I think this is a bug in xapt; it should allow
>
> That is why the -m option is used above, this allows xapt to downgrade
> multiarch packages to the old dpkg-cross paths.

That made xapt create the packages indeed, thanks.

> There is a *long* section in the xapt man page on exactly this issue.
> Please read it.

It isn't that long. :-)  However, the man page also mentions that I
should have the arch listed in my foreign architectures, but on my
system, dpkg --print-foreign-architectures does not give any output.
This doesn't seem to be a problem, though.  Do I need to worry about
this?

> > So that was looking good.  However, the compilation failed with an
> > undefined reference to stubs-n32_hard.h, which I found in
> > libc6-dev-mipsn32.  That package is installable by xapt, but
> > unfortunately that doesn't fix the error; it still doesn't find the
> > file while compiling.
> >
> > A little research shows that it installs the file in
> > /usr/mipsel-linux-gnu/include/mipsel-linux-gnu/gnu/, but it expects it
> > in /usr/mipsel-linux-gnu/include/gnu/.
> >
> > I added a symlink.
>
> Use the xapt support and move the files properly. A symlink prevents
> you ever installing the multiarch version of the package without using
> xapt.

What do you mean with "move the files properly"?  I just removed all
symlinks, deinstalled all packages (which were mostly from the emdebian
archive) and installed packages created by xapt.  However, there doesn't
seem to be a difference and the compile fails again on stubs-n32_hard.h.

Do you suggest I should move the files to the other directory manually?

I'm sure that will make this part work again, and I will again be stuck
at the linker errors.

> > This is where I am currently stuck.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bas

Ps: No need to Cc me, I am subscribed.