Re: Installing a cross-toolchain to build ARM binaries

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 18:52:41 +0100
Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> wrote:

> > I tried myself to rebuild... the gcc-4.6 for armel target,
> > but i realized that we only need to use xapt to full-fill the
> > missing dependencies,
> > which is convert the missing libraries from armel repo. Eg.:
> >
> > $ sudo xapt -a armel -m libgomp1

The -m is the short option of the --multiarch option.

> > to generate (in current directory) a
> > libgomp1-armel-cross_$VERSION_all.deb for your amd64 host,
>
> I tried it as well, but for mipsel.  I found that:
> - Most packages refuse to be installed by xapt, because they are
>   multi-arch.  I think this is a bug in xapt; it should allow

That is why the -m option is used above, this allows xapt to downgrade
multiarch packages to the old dpkg-cross paths.

$ man xapt

> So that was looking good.  However, the compilation failed with an
> undefined reference to stubs-n32_hard.h, which I found in
> libc6-dev-mipsn32.  That package is installable by xapt, but
> unfortunately that doesn't fix the error; it still doesn't find the
> file while compiling.
>
> A little research shows that it installs the file in
> /usr/mipsel-linux-gnu/include/mipsel-linux-gnu/gnu/, but it expects it
> in /usr/mipsel-linux-gnu/include/gnu/.
>
> I added a symlink.

Use the xapt support and move the files properly. A symlink prevents
you ever installing the multiarch version of the package without using
xapt.

> This is where I am currently stuck.  Any help is appreciated.
>
> Is there anything I can do to make automatic builds work again?  They
> are extremely useful.
>
> Also, how are the -cross packages built for emdebian's archive?  As I
> wrote, xapt refuses to handle them.

xapt handles them just fine if you supply the correct options.

There is a *long* section in the xapt man page on exactly this issue.
Please read it.