Re: Unable to determine your tty name error.

Just following up to myself, having attempted to repeat my previous
experiments with wheezy-grip...

On Thursday 09 May 2013 18:06:52 Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Thursday 09 May 2013 17:09:39 mind entropy wrote:
> >
> > Now I get the following error:
> >
> > login: PAM Failure, aborting: Critical error - immediate abort

After completing the initial package configuration of a multistrapped system
and having made an attempt to remove the root password (which may or may not
have done anything, but there isn't a root password afterwards, anyway), I
then cannot set a root password and get the following error:

passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
passwd: password unchanged

There are also odd things like trying to ping another host while logged in as
the root user and getting the following error:

ping: ping must run as root

(That said, I'm not completely sure that the kernel is as happy as it was
under Squeeze.)

Trying to add a new user with adduser gets the following error when setting a
password:

chfn: PAM: Authentication failure
adduser: `/usr/bin/chfn paulb' returned error code 1. Exiting.

Upon rebooting and attempting to log in, I get the previously stated error
message flashed up briefly on the display after trying to log in as root or
my perhaps unsuccessfully created user:

Unable to determine your tty name

I'm using the same kernel as before, which is a mipsel 3.3.8 Linux kernel
built using the OpenWrt toolchain. So perhaps there's some incompatibility
between kernel and user space.

Paul