Re: armhf toolchain is broken in the repository

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 16:02:36 +0100
Patrik Kluba <kpajko79@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Wheezy does contain that version and has done since 2012-09-05, if you
> > are using wheezy. If you are using sid, you need to specify the sid
> > version 4.7.2-4
> >

> Yes, I'm on sid, and yes, that's exactly the problem, the 4.7.2-4.
> libstdc++6-armhf-cross_4.7.2-4_all.deb depends on
> gcc-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabihf-base=4.7.2-4, which is not installable, as the
> repository has only 4.7.1-7 (at least for amd64, for i386 it's OK)

gcc-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabi itself just isn't available at the same
version as gcc-4.7 in Debian sid.

That's just one of the things you have to accept when using the
combination of cross toolchains based on dpkg-cross and a constantly
changing unstable distribution. However, during a release freeze is the
one time when this is most easily solved, if someone has the time.

There is nothing in Debian to ensure that libstdc++6:armhf remains at
the same version as gcc-4.7:amd64 in sid - that's what sid is all
about. Testing, on the other hand, does provide that protection. Sadly,
there aren't suitable cross toolchains in emdebian wheezy currently
either. Most of the work is going into the next-generation toolchains
based on MultiArch and on mechanisms to get the cross toolchains built
inside Debian to avoid this problem in the future.

If you're interested in helping getting all the emdebian old-style cross
toolchains into good condition before the Wheezy release, there's some
work to do there - ask if you want access to do / help with the work.
It's probably enough to build all the cross toolchains for the versions
currently in Wheezy and make sure these remain installable until the
Debian Wheezy release.

I'll be doing the Emdebian Grip 3.0 wheezy-grip release alongside
Debian 7.0 (Wheezy) and I would normally release the toolchains at the
same time. I won't be able to do that as things stand and we'll be left
without installable toolchains for the next Debian stable release.