xapt created inconsistencies

I'd like to understand if my xapt experience should be considered
expected or not. I'm running xapt version 2.2.18~bpo60+1 on Squeeze
amd64.

A month or two ago, I used xapt to install libxml2-dev and
libcurl4-openssl-dev so I could cross build for armel.  Then today, I
used xapt to install libfcgi-dev as it's now an additional dependency
for the app I'm building.

Month or two ago:
> 'sudo xapt -a armel libxml2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev'
and today:
> 'sudo xapt -a armel libfcgi-dev'

It ended up that then native apt didn't like the resulting conflict of
libc6-dev-armel-cross and libc6-armel-cross, as they ended up at
different versions with an exact version dependency:

  libc6-dev-armel-cross: Depends: libc6-armel-cross (= 2.11.3-2) but 2.11.3-3 is installed.

I "fixed" this situation by rerunning
> 'sudo xapt -a armel libxml2-dev and libcurl4-openssl-dev'
which pulled in the newer versions of a few different things, one being
the libc6-dev packages.  I assume I could have also pulled in libc6-dev
with a
> 'sudo xapt -a armel libc6-dev'
but I did not try that.

Is my experience with xapt considered expected in that xapt'ing one dev
package may pull in newer others and thus break version dependencies?
Even though I assume they're not really broken (ie: everything is still
compatible), just that dpkg thinks they are. It's not a huge deal if it
is, I just want to understand so I can document it for the future.  I
couldn't easily find existing documentation on this condition.

Thanks,
Andrew