Re: Emdebian iso problem

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 13:35:16 -0700
shawn <shawnlandden@gmail.com> wrote:

> A less involved to way to get sort of half way between debian proper and
> emdebian is to exlude some files with dpkg's path-include and
> path-exclude features.

You've missed the point about kernels. Emdebian Grip removes all the
files you mention at the repository level. Kernel packages do NOT
contain large amounts of such files - the files in kernel packages are
unnecessary for Emdebian because they are functionally unwarranted on
that specific board. These are compiled modules for this particular
kernel, using a kernel configuration where, as is normal in Debian,
everything that works is fully enabled. There's no point downloading
100Mb of a Debian kernel package to throw away 95Mb and you can't do
exclusion inside Debian Installer anyway.

> path-exclude=/usr/share/doc/*
> path-include=/usr/share/doc/*/copyright*
>
> as change-log files can be very big.

Not for kernel packages which is the entire point about the ISO
problems. Those files account for 0.1% of a kernel package.

NOTE: It is not wise to exclude all copyright files, this is why
Emdebian compresses copyright files but does remove changelog files.

Dpkg exclusion filters are NOT useful for embedded, I've explained this
before. The reason is that ALL the exclusion processing has to be done
on the embedded device which is just where you don't have the space
(you have to download the bloated package, unpack it alongside the
bloated package and then move some files into useful locations and
finally remove the rest but you don't delete the bloated package
unless it is done manually later), you don't have the processing power
and you don't have the ability to make the same changes on hundreds of
installations at the same time.

Using exclusions on a kernel package just means that a 30Mb package
unpacks to 100Mb of which you want 10Mb, so you waste time downloading
and processing 120Mb.