Re: cross-build-essential

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:10:28 +0000
Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> I've thought for a long time that a package like build-essential for
> cross-building would be a really good idea.

+1

> Currently to get the right tools and libs installed for cross-building
> you need to do slightly different things on different distros
>
> Having just been looking at sbuild cross-support it becomes clear that
> something like this would be a very useful adititon.
>
> Can anyone see any reason why we shouldn't just have
> $arch-crossbuild-essential which depends on the right things?
>
> It can easily be adjusted to be right for the distro it's in, and
> removes the need for livebuilder, sbuild, multistrap etc to know
> internally.

It should probably depend on build-essential itself as a starting point.

It does need to remain just the essential packages though - is it
actually much more than the relevant g++-$version-$triplet
cross-compiler?

The only issue is that cross-compilers don't always move to newer
versions in line with native compilers. So it would actually be easier
for $arch-crossbuild-essential to *not* be from the same source package
as build-essential.

> Currently on Debian you'll need to have made the emdebian repositories
> available because otherwise you won't find any cross-compilers, but
> hopefully we'll have them in the main archive in the not-too distant.
> In Ubuntu it'll just work already (for armel/armhf).
>
> I'll knock these up unless people have major objections.

Feel free to add me to the uploaders list...