Re: 9nov11: progress on allwinner A10

On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 20:44 +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

<big snip>

Not sure if this is the best thread to use, please advise if another is
more appropriate.

I've just read the first and last page of the ITWire article and it made
me think about something related to my particular TV/Monitor.

Its an LG Flatron 22" and it has a PCMCIA slot in it which is used to
de-cript UK "top up" channels; (Digital over TV, not satellite.) via a
CI+CAM adapter.

It made me wonder if it were possible to use a combination of your
proprosed design and said monitor to create a computer TV. I'm guessing
the TV would need a firmware update of some kind to be able to stream
output from the pcmcia to its display although if its current design
transfers the digital signal to it, it decodes, and then re-transmits it
back to the TV it wouldn't be much of a change.

One advantage would be that its power could be drawn from the TV and
with all the on-board connections would be rather eligant solution such
that it may be worth contacting LG and other manufacturers for their
take on it. Also it would be another line of sales, one which could be
quite large so further reducing costs or if marketed correctly could be
used to subsidise further developments or the standalone devices.

Anyway, just an off the cuff thought.

Jon