Re: Patch for polystrap

Actually, I use it at my work to build a uniform Debian image for
multiple architectures. Honestly, I actually modified polystrap to
*remove* the ability to run as non-root; it relied on a version of
fakeroot which was not released, and I have no problem with using root
(you can always build a VM and do it there).

In  my opinion, the big failing of multistrap, which polystrap works
around, is that it does not a provide a *uniform* and consistent build
system across multiple architectures. Multistrap behaves radically
different if you are building an image on the actual box (native)
versus on a different box (foreign). Heck, it even behaves differently
if you are on an x64 system building for vanilla 386! This makes it
very cumbersome to create a single set of files that can build the
"same" image for different architectures and know that it will work
properly on just about any build machine.

My solution was to hack a copy of multistrap to always run in foreign
mode (this ought to be a command option!) and use polystrap to drive
the whole process.

  Paul Rensing