Re: cross-build-essential

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 20:04:26 +0100
Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> A bit of background here for those who aren't following all the details:
>
> We are working towards having cross-compilers in the archive. The plan
> is for those toolchains to use multiarch so that the existing
> archive are used by the cross-toolchains, rather than being rebuilt
> and renamed as foo-cross packages (where practical).

... this is a pre-requisite for restarting work on Emdebian Crush
after Wheezy which will extend Embedded Debian to offer a Debian system
without coreutils, with a rebuilt busybox and likely without perl. The
premise will be to only cross-build the packages which need functional
changes and pull the rest from Emdebian Grip. (As a special-case,
partial archive, packages for Emdebian Crush will stay on emdebian.org
servers/mirrors.)

So this is a very welcome development. Unlike the one-off release of
Crush for the old ARM port based on Lenny, Multiarch should be capable
of delivering support for multiple architectures - probably 4.

Where packages are changed for Crush, we'll start using -crush suffixes
to source package names. (e.g. busybox-crush, cairo-crush).

http://www.emdebian.org/trac/browser/current/target

(Those versions are old but the idea is the same.)

I'm also hoping that the existing QtEmbedded build can be provided,
somehow.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2011/10/msg00023.html

Integrating these changes into the relevant Debian packages via
build-options is a different question which can also be broached
@DebConf.

> This work, combined with sbuild's already-in-wheezy config to set up
> multiarch and install crossbuild-essential-<arch>, and the forthcoming
> <triplet>-pkg-config packages, should make for painless cross-building
> (modulo suitable multiarch metadata in packages and packages that are
> actually capble of being cross-built).

(Just one of the reasons to only cross-build for Crush what we actually
need to modify - bootstrapping will need wider coverage.)

> I'll give a more complete summary of current state at debconf.

Anyone wanting to talk about the details of creating a very small
Debian distribution for specific targets can also talk to myself or
Wookey at DebConf. This can be part of the proposed Emdebian BoF.

A new version of Crush using Multiarch cross-compilers should get us
back to a sub 32Mb install of a Debian system, maybe sub 20Mb. (Sub
16Mb means using uClibc which is a harder problem.)

Anyone with ideas on how to prune the iconv files normally provided
with eglibc:libc6? Find me/Wookey @/during DebConf.

http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian/flavours.html