Re: [Arm-netbook] 9nov11: progress on allwinner A10

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> It is certainly true that just connecting NAND direct to the CPU
> _will_ be really slow because you have to do all the ECC calcs
> everytime you read or write enything in software. That's painfully
> slow. You need something that does the ECC for you on the fly. I don't

 just a brief reply: the CPU has built-in BCH error correcting of up
to 64 bits per 512 or 1024 bytes block, can provide an error
correction report, and also appears to have a randomiser if you need
it.

 this is very strange not least because it appears that someone has
really really thought about this stuff... but then it gets piped
through a china factory supply line where absolutely nobody knows or
even cares what's going on.

 l.