Re: foreign rootfs without root priviliges with multistrap, fakeroot, fakechroot and qemu user emulation

Hello Johannes,

2011/6/16 Johannes Schauer <j.schauer@email.de>:

[...]
> they are all very similar as i didnt want to give up the simplicity of having
> only one script for each target for a more general solution yet. they are
> similar enough so that a diff will nicely show the special properties of each
> of them compared to the others.

This scripts look quite helpful. I wonder if it would be worth it to
unify them and make them
more generic to be a .deb package in itself.

> they mostly differ in the package selection, modules, kernel, alsastate file,
> hostname, fstab and udev rules.

In the package selection side, Jonas started a proof of concept at
emdebian git repository:
<http://git.emdebian.org/?p=upstream/boxer.git;a=blob;f=README>
Maybe that can inspire you to manage per board customizations. `boxer`
enables and disables packages a la a2enmod (from apache2 utilities).

> multistrap usage is restricted to the very basic options and doesnt make use of
> hooks or setupscripts.

The original idea was to create a .deb package which does all your
board customizations, so one creates a local debian repository and
adds the package to the packages field in the config file.

> maybe those are useful for someone.

If the code gets unified and it is possible to easily customize lists
of packages at least it'll be useful for you and me.

Thanks for the fish! :-)

Kind regards,
--

<free spam>
-- Would you like to make a donation for Debian Conference?
   ** http://debconf11.debconf.org/payments.xhtml **
</free spam>