Re: Is emdebian repo broken?

On śro, 2011-06-01 at 10:10 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 10:45:15 +0200
> Marcin Juszkiewicz <marcin.juszkiewicz@linaro.org> wrote:
>
> > On śro, 2011-06-01 at 09:34 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > > Right now, nobody cares about cross-compilers in unstable because we
> > > don't have time to waste.
> >
> > What about cross-toolchain project at alioth? I am working on getting my
> > Ubuntu cross toolchains working in Debian:
> >
> > http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/cross-toolchain.git;a=summary
> >
> > They build, they work. Status is on wiki page:
> >
> > https://wiki.linaro.org/MarcinJuszkiewicz/Projects/MergeCrossToolchainIntoDebian
> >
> > I do not provide packages for Debian but if someone wants I can share
> > results of my recent builds.
>
> The same problems as toolchains for unstable from Emdebian - the
> packages don't install because the dependencies keep on moving ahead
> without waiting for the cross-toolchain packages to be built and there
> is no sane way of upgrading a mixed range of -cross packages on an
> unstable base.

I maintain those packages in Ubuntu for ~8 months now. And yes, during
that time there were few moments when there were problems with
installing them - mostly faults of me and my sponsors (breaking build
order for most of time).

> Instead of doing yet another out-of-Debian toolchain build we really
> need to get one definitive set of cross-compiler toolchains into Debian
> using the Debian infrastructure and subject to all the normal Debian
> Policy requirements of migrations, RC bugs etc.

Did you ever looked at my packages? They can be built on buildd, be part
of distribution archive and get all what normal Debian package gets.

> The Emdebian toolchains for unstable can be installed with a fair bit
> of hacking around with the -armel-cross packages.

My packages does not require hacking to get cross compiler installed.
Simple "apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi" is enough. OK, installing
extra libraries requires use of dpkg-cross but same situation is with
current Emdebian ones.

> The problem is that this is a permanent hassle which keeps on causing the
> toolchain to be removed by other Debian packaging upgrades in unstable.

> Maintaining a set of installable -cross packages against unstable is
> a pointless waste of time. Been there, got a couple of T-shirts, not
> doing that again.

Then consider me as
yet-another-crazy-guy-who-wants-cross-compiler-in-debian-archive.