Re: Emdebian sprint - flash-kernel discussion

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:57:31 +0100, Loïc Minier <loic.minier@linaro.org> wrote:
>  I'm not sure; for instance consider the case of data which changes with
>  the distro over time; let's say linaro-image-tools depends on that data
>  and combines the data + 1 hwpack + 1 rootfs to create an image.  Then
>  the data changes, and you want to support an older hwpack + rootfs, but
>  the new data is not compatible with them (ttyS2/ttyO2 example).  If the
>  data is contained in the hwpack in some way, then it's not an issue
>  anymore.  I'm pretty sure there are examples the other way around
>  though, and I don't like having caches of the data which might be
>  stale.

So longer term we should be thinking of having the hwpack generation
read some information from the common files corresponding to the
versions it is building for (e.g. grab the package containing the common
files and look for the one with a specific name and take some info from
there).

That would allow us to share the data, while not worrying about having
different versions of that data at hwpack-install time.

I still think we should consider cases where the information refers to
the rootfs when we come to do this, and not include that in the hwpack,
instead reading it from the rootfs we are installing the hwpack in to.

Thanks,

James