Re: Debian Social Contract

Hi Neil,

First, let me thank you for this detailed emdebian status.  Maybe a
link to it could be added to the website (eg. a "Status" link under
"About emdebian").

> This isn't about the tools, this is about the conversion of Debian
> packages into Emdebian packages on a server.
[...]
> Issues around trimming back multistrap to something which is actually
> cohesive are completely unrelated to the processing of Grip on buildds.
>
> Please separate the two issues and allow the people doing the work to
> actually get the larger tasks done without nagging about trivialities.
[...]
> Multistrap is not part of this discussion - the inclusion of
> Emdebian Grip into Debian has no bearing on the disagreements over
> multistrap, it is about getting packages processed for Grip within the
> Debian infrastructure. Multistrap is about using the results of
> whatever processing we use, whether or not the processing gets
> done within Debian. Please don't conflate the two issues.
[...]
> Multistrap is not a core tool for Emdebian Grip. Different issue and a
> trivial one compared to the challenges which dominate Emdebian right
> now.

I can understand that, but work in the rootfs-production area, being
orthogonal as you mentionned, can be done by other people too.
Activity around polystrap is a good illustration, with various people
working on this subject.  Yourself focusing on the Grip processing
issue is good thing, and you could delegate some multistrap
maintainance to someone else if you feel it will help you keep this
focus.

> Please, give it a rest and do something more productive. Let me get on
> with the infrastructure stuff and get a point release of Emdebian Grip
> Squeeze out of the door. That is the task which will bring the most
> benefit to users of Emdebian right now.

Not everyone has the same interest in both areas, and not everyone has
the necessary time to dedicate to the Grip issue; add this to the fact
that while work is being done on wheezy, those tools can still be
worked on by people who are content with squeeze.  They will just be
more ready when Wheezy Grip get live!

For my part, my immediate interest is precisely rootfs generation for
a squeeze-based distro, and I don't have the time to go on the moving
ground that MultiArch currently is - which probably explains why we
were not understanding each other.

I'll do my best to keep those issues separate :)

Best regards,
--
Yann