Re: Multiarch arrives in Debian unstable - world will break

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:32:22 -0400
outro pessoa <outro.pessoa@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that being able to build emdebian natively on some architectures
> would be better than cross compiling.

Sorry, that is not the case. Emdebian Grip is a NATIVE distribution. It
will still be broken during the transition. Emdebian Crush has no
chance of starting until the transition is much further advanced - but
will leap ahead quickly once the key mechanisms are in place.

Native building itself will break during the transition as well, even
for upstream teams using Debian as a base and as I explained, it is a
particular problem for unofficial ports. If you are considering an
official port then there is no need to build Emdebian natively, you
simply convert existing Debian packages which have already been built.
Rebuilding them for Emdebian only wastes your time and does not help fix
the bugs in the native build in Debian.

Use emgrip from the emdebian-grip package, it is architecture-agnostic
but will still be affected by Multi-Arch because dependencies won't
always be available.

Native provides no protection over cross-building with this transition
- except that bugs are likely to be fixed quicker. Bugs and breakage
will still occur.

Q. Why is top posting bad?

> > First stop is fixing various upstream build system bugs which result
> > from the MultiArch paths. i.e. a number of packages will stop building
> > natively, let alone cross, during the transition. Native build bugs
> > will, of course, be fixed quicker than cross but problems are
> > inevitable.

i.e. native builds will still break, just that more people will care
and more eyes make all bugs shallow.

> > From this point on, using an unofficial port is going to be incredibly
> > risky because there will be no safety net. Packages will migrate to
> > MultiArch, some of those will break and there will be missing
> > dependencies and broken packages throughout unstable - as
> > unofficial ports only have unstable, unofficial == broken_world.

That applies *mainly* to the use of an unofficial port *natively*,
including via Emdebian Grip.