Installation of Emdebian cross development tools on a Ubuntu host

What is the recommended/proper way to install the Emdebian cross
development tools on a Ubuntu host?

I found http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2011/04/msg00056.html
(which I just realized was posted only 4 days ago) where the OP has
encountered the same problem installing the MIPS toolchain as I have
encountered in attempting to install the armel toolchain, namely:

  cpp-4.4-arm-linux-gnueabi: Depends: libmpfr4 which is a virtual package.
  G++-4.4-arm-linux-gnueabi: Depends: libmpfr4 which is a virtual package.

I have found a few miscellaneous web pages that suggest that:

$ sudo aptitude install linux-libc-dev-armel-cross libc6-armel-cross
libc6-dev-armel-cross binutils-arm-linux-gnueabi
gcc-4.4-arm-linux-gnueabi g++-4.4-arm-linux-gnueabi

should just work out of the box, so I'm thinking that something must
have changed recently.

Any tips?

--wpd