Re: gcc

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:06:45 -0700
Paul Thomas <pthomas8589@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, so I think my initial question was incorrect. apt was trying to
> install the regular debian gcc which was creating the dependency on
> libc-bin. Really the problem is that with just the emdebian repository
> in sources.list (deb http://www.emdebian.org/grip squeeze main) it
> doesn't know about gcc.

Read the components page.

> > Read the components page:
> > http://www.emdebian.org/grip/#components

> E: Unable to locate package gcc
>
> Even though as you pointed out the package is there:
> http://www.emdebian.org/grip/search.php?package=gcc-4.4&distro=squeeze&arch=armel
>
> Is my sources.list line need to add something? Thanks for all the
> help.

> > Read the components page:
> > http://www.emdebian.org/grip/#components

gcc is a development package, so it's in the development component

The page you quoted clearly shows the component:

http://www.emdebian.org/grip/search.php?package=gcc-4.4&distro=squeeze&arch=armel

[ Architecture: armel ][ search again ]

Development packages (ending in -dev or in the Debian Sections devel or
libdevel are in the dev component and depend on packages in main.

deb http://www.emdebian.org/grip squeeze main dev