Re: tcl8.5 breaks dpkg-cross assumptions and multiarch

+++ Steve Langasek [2011-01-31 12:18 -0800]:
> > So, the questions is - which of these is the correct fix:
> > 1) make dpkg-cross copy over symlinks even when they point into
> > /usr/share
> > 2) make tcl8.5 put tclConfig.sh in /usr/lib/tcl8.5 instead of
> > /usr/share/tcltk/tcl8.5
> > 3) make sqlite (and similar packages) look in /usr/share/tcltk/tcl8.5
> > instead of /usr/lib/tcl8.5 when building
>
> 1+2: dpkg-cross should also copy over symlinks that point to /usr/share.
> When such symlinks exist, it's almost invariably because *something is
> looking for the information in that location*.  So as a general policy, they
> should also be made available in a crossed package.

But if something is looking for arch-independent stuff in /lib then in
general that's wrong, and I'm not aware of any examples of
correctly-packaged packages that need this. Any arch-independent files
will be supplied by an arch all package that the build should depend
on if needed.

dpkg-cross has gone for 10 years without needing symlinks pointing into
/usr/share, so I'm reluctant to add them without some evidence that
it's actually correct. Its policy of only crossing arch-dependent
files is the right one, I believe.  (It does allow symlinks within
/usr/src which presumably has/had a good reason.)

http://wookware.org/