Re: emdebian.org disaster recovery

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 07:43:40 -0600
Bill Gatliff <bgat@billgatliff.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > 1: SVN history - we're starting again at SVN revision 0. (Unless some
> > data can be recovered from the previous server but that could take a
> > prolonged period of time to access.)
>

> Good chance to switch to git, then?

git doesn't support locking of binary files (like .png) and is
therefore not suitable. Tools for the kernel team are not automatically
suitable for smaller teams like Emdebian.

Besides, the SVN history yet may be recoverable and disaster recovery
is NEVER a sensible time for either religious wars or change for the
sake of change.

There was no compelling reason to change VCS before this happened,
(when SVN history could have been migrated if we'd actually wanted to
change VCS) so there is absolutely no reason to change in the midst of
this recovery process.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/